For the Winter school term of 2013, I wrote for The Iron Warrior, the official newspaper of the University of Waterloo Engineering Society. I have written for the newspaper in previous terms, but this was the first term that I regularly submitted articles.
Writing for the newspaper has provided me an opportunity to publish written work with a submission deadline. Having a deadline was something I valued a lot during that term. It’s one thing to write without a deadline, but with Parkinson’s law applied to an open deadline, it’s possible to not have anything completed.
I have listed the articles I’ve submitted to the newspaper below. They are separated into three groups: my column, “The Graduating Warrior”, the articles I’ve submitted during the Winter 2013 term, and the articles I’ve written prior to 2013.
Column: The Graduating Warrior
The Graduating Warrior was a column that talked about topics relevant to graduating fourth-year students, from fourth-year activities (both academic and non-academic) to life after convocation, colloquially called “The Real World”.
I first came up with this idea in the Fall term of 2011, and before the start of 2013, it was just an idea, accompanied with random notes on topics that I would like to cover in this column. I didn’t find it difficult to write about things that would happen during the undergraduate career; however, I haven’t formally experienced post-undergraduate life, only observed it. When it came to writing about that, I inferred from what I knew about my friends who have already graduated.
Although this column was geared towards fourth years, I wrote it in such a way that non-fourth year students can read it and still get a sense of the topics I’ve covered in the column.
Here are the links to the articles:
- [W13I1] Forethoughts, fourth years?
- [W13I2] The Real World: Beyond Fourth Year
- [W13I3] The Value of Your Degree
- [W13I4] Crunch Time!
- [W13I5] Done Is Better Than Perfect
Articles: Winter 2013 Term
Here are the links to the articles I’ve written for the Winter 2013 term. Most of these articles were about current events happening that term.
- [W13I1] Student Design Symposium Showcases Personal Technical Projects
- [W13I1] The Reel Deal with 48 FPS
- [W13I2] A Peek At Disorientation Week
- [W13I3] Conversation in Space With Astronaut Chris Hadfield
- [W13I3] Waterloo Mentioned in New York Times & Communications of the ACM
- [W13I4] 3D Printing Pen Lets You Draw In The Air
- [W13I5 – Tin Soldier] The Creepy Grad: Leaving Your Mark
As mentioned before, I have written for the newspaper prior to this year, but as you can see from the size of this list, I wasn’t a regular contributor. Prior to Winter 2013, I was a staff member and a copy editor for the newspaper. For reference, PCP stands for “Point/Counterpoint”, a regular feature in the newspaper.
- [S12I5 – Tin Soldier, PCP] Counterpoint: Wrong
- [F11I4, PCP] PCP: For Procrastination
- [F11I1] Two Faculties: Software Engineering Students
- [F11I1] An Orientation Leader’s Perspective
- [Frosh 2011 Issue] Software Engineering
I wouldn’t mind writing for the newspaper again; however, I no longer attend the University of Waterloo. Although that shouldn’t stop me from writing and contributing, I’m reluctant to do so as I prefer undergraduates contributing to the newspaper so that they can have an opportunity to volunteer. Instead, I’ll be writing for this blog!